Friday 8 September 2017

Whitstable to Margate// Bye BMX


I have window boxes. When I’m away, I genuinely worry about them not being watered. I watch Countryfile. The other day I remembered a sunhat and a child asked me for a tissue. I’ve also got really into bridges, like really into them. I have a list of favourites. In short, I'm growing up.

For these reasons and more, I’ve decided to get rid of my BMX.

I barely ride it anymore and when I do it’s to work because there is something wrong with my A bike and when I catch my reflection I look like someone’s mum has stolen their bike. 

One of my favourite day trips is cycling from Whitstable to Margate. Sometimes I start in Canterbury but the Whitstable to Margate route is off road (save a really small quiet bit by Herne Bay), it is completely sign posted (Regional Route 15) so you know how far along you are and you can't get lost (JUST YOU TRY) as you should always have the sea on your left. 



I decided a recent cycle along this route would be my BMX’s final voyage. I was cycling with friends who had gears and higher seat posts so I figured by the end of the 20 mile ride, I wouldn’t want to look at my BMX again.

If you are not familiar with this route, I urge you to give it a go. I put my bike on train from St Pancras and it takes about an hour. From the station it’s a two-minute ride to Whitstable Harbour (if you have panniers, I recommend stopping at the high street and hitting the charity shops) where the Oyster Bay Trail takes you through Herne Bay and Tiverton to Reculver. I can't eat oysters, but if you do, the shallow waters of the Thames Estuary is a perfect environment for them and they are apparently delicious. 


I always get beach hut envy when I see the ones near Tankerton. Not only is the beach view amazing but Tankerton Slopes is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is home to one of Britain’s rarest plants and 2 rare species of moths.


Herne Bay is a great place for a tea stop and to pay tribute to aviator Amy Johnson whose plane crashed into the sea off the coast here in 1941

Soon after you pass the medieval ruins of Reculver. This is where I started to get sad about saying goodbye to my BMX. It looked so sad leaning against the church like two ancient artefacts.

The Oyster Bay Trail ends and the Viking Costal Trail begins. This goes around Thanet from Reculver around to Margate. It is a circular trail that carries on to Ramsgate before going inland back to Reculver. It was at Reculver that I realised how much I loved riding my BMX. I might not do tricks on it (I’m so much more scared of breaking my face now that i’m a grown up), but just simply riding it is a dream.




So now along with all the friends I have who have recently fled London's ferocious house prices, I now have a BMX that lives in Margate. I might go and get it and bring it home next weekend though. 


This guy is going to look after my BMX

My favourite outfit in 1986


No comments:

Post a Comment