Saturday 13 June 2015

My JOGLE adventure


So remember a while ago I said I was thinking about doing an End to End cycle? Well I'm doing it right now. In fact, I'm about half way through.

I'm following the same route of Eileen Sheridan's 1954 Land's End to John O'Groats record but doing it in reverse. I chose JOGLE (John O'Groats to Land's End) Over LEJOG (Land's End to John O'Groats) because it sounds less French and pretentious and more whimsical and downhill. No really, i had never been to Scotland before so wanted to start there and check it out and it made more sense to be heading home south. 
Eileen has given me lots of advice and her directions which I have reversed and amended slightly because roads have changed and bridges have been built in the last 70 years.
I sent Eileen a postcard from John O'Groats saying: "Remember this place? I'll be thinking of you coasting down hills as I'm trudging up them." Perhaps the biggest amendment to my trip is that I'm not doing it in two days, 11 hours and seven minutes. I'm taking my sweet time and having a real adventure. 
I'll write a bunch of posts when I get back about planning (or lack there of), packing, accommodation and anything that I think might be helpful to anyone else thinking about doing a similar trip. But for now, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this journey, high five every LEJOGer that passes me, relish the extra 4000 calories I'm supposed to be consuming and make the most of having some time alone with my bike, the open road and the wonderful people I'm meeting that are adding so much to this amazing adventure.

For updates check my Instagram and Twitter and feel free to throw me any questions or send me inspirational quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment